Gutters are an important component of your home. They protect your property from water damage that can ruin the structure and foundation, requiring thousands of dollars in repairs. Leaves, dirt, sticks, and other debris accumulate in the gutters over time. When the gutters are clogged, it’s time to schedule gutter cleaning to prevent damage to your home.
The Benefits of Cleaning Gutters
Clean gutters funnel water off the roof and away from your siding and foundation. There are many reasons to maintain your guttering.
- Prevent Water Damage: Gutters direct water off the roof and away from the home so the foundation isn’t at risk of damage.
- Eliminate Pests: Birds, cockroaches, mice, squirrels, and other pests may find your gutters a cozy place to call home, especially if there’s already a comfortable nest for them made of leaves, sticks, and other debris inside.
- Prevent Soil Erosion: Water overflowing from the gutters may lead to soil erosion, a problem that quickly damages the landscape of your home.
- Prevent Basement Flooding: There is an increased risk of the basement flooding if the gutters become clogged.
- Reduce Risk of Roof Damage: Your roof is one of the most important components of the home. Gutters that aren’t draining properly allow water to pool on the roof, causing damage to shingles.
DIY Gutter Cleaning
If you’re a homeowner who would like to tackle this task on your own, know that it is a challenging task. If you lack the tools and skills to properly clean the gutters, you may end up damaging them. Being on a ladder presents its own set of risks. Have a friend or family member around to hold the ladder for safety.
When you hire a professional, you’ll save time and know the job was completed correctly the first time around.
When to Schedule Gutter Cleaning
Gutter cleaning should take place twice every year so that they stay clean and debris free. Spring and fall are the best times for this task. Gutter cleaning professionals offer this service at reasonable prices, although rates do vary from one job to the next. Find the best price by requesting quotes from 3 or 4 local companies.